June 9, 1894 – Water Well finds Oil in Corsicana, Texas –
A contractor hired by the town of Corsicana to drill a water well on 12th Street found oil instead, launching the First Texas Oil Boom, seven years before a more famous discovery at Spindletop Hill, 230 miles southeast.
Although the 1894 oilfield discovery attracted thousands and brought great prosperity to Corsicana, the city paid the contractor only half his $1,000 fee since the agreement had been for drilling a water well.
Drilled with steam power and cable-tools, the well produced just 2.5 barrels of oil a day from 1,035 feet deep. It nevertheless brought a rush of exploration companies, and by 1898 there were about 300 oil wells around the town, which became a center for technological innovation.
One Corsicana service company began manufacturing its newly patented rotary drilling rig – which would be used at the 1901 “Lucas Gusher” at Spindletop. Corsicana today hosts an annual Derrick Days and Chili Cook-Off and is home to Wolf Brand Chili, established in 1895, thanks to the petroleum boom.
June 11, 1816 – Manufactured Gas lights Art Museum in Baltimore
The first commercial gas lighting of residences, streets, and businesses began when artist Rembrandt Peale impressed Baltimore civic leaders by illuminating a room in his Holliday Street Museum by burning “manufactured gas.” His display (using gas distilled from coal, tar or wood) dazzled museum patrons with a “ring beset with gems of light.”
The building became the fist public building in America to use gas lighting, according to the Maryland Historical Trust. Within a week, the Baltimore city council approved plans to light the city’s main streets. Peale and a group of investors founded the Gas Light Company of Baltimore, the first gas company in America, and today the Baltimore Gas and Electric Company. Gas street lighting began in 1817. Learn more manufactured gas history in Illuminating Gaslight.
June 11, 1911 – First Ponca Nation Oilfield discovered by 101 Ranch Oil Company
Ernest W. Marland, founder of the 101 Ranch Oil Company in 1908, discovered an oilfield near Ponca City, Oklahoma, after reorganizing the company in his hometown of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Almost broke after drilling eight uneconomical wells, Marland had turned to his childhood friend John McCaskey of Pittsburgh, known the “Sauerkraut King.”
Partnered with McCaskey and the Miller brothers, owners of the 101 Ranch, Marland received permission from White Eagle, chief of the Ponca Nation, to drill near a reservation burial ground, according to a 1974 biography, Life and Death of an Oil Man: E.W. Marland.
The discovery well and others that followed produced oil on a reservation allotment owned by Willie-Cries-For-War, age 19, who had leased his 160-acres to Marland for $1,000 a year and 12.5 cents a barrel of oil produced. Marland would found Marland Oil Company in 1917, merge it with Continental Oil in 1928, and become governor of Oklahoma in 1935. ConocoPhillips opened a Conoco Museum in Ponca City in May 2007.
June 11, 1929 – Independent Producers get Organized
Wirt Franklin, who like many Oklahoma independent producers had successfully drilled in the shallow but prolific Healdton oilfield, spoke on behalf of small oil exploration companies at President Herbert Hoover’s Oil Conservation Conference at the Broadmoor Hotel in Colorado Springs, Colorado. He opposed creating a commission that could restrict production and allow any increase in imported foreign oil. “If this condition should be brought about,” proclaimed Franklin, “it would mean the annihilation and destruction of the small producer of crude oil.”
Franklin established an organization based in Tulsa, Oklahoma, to defend the interests of small, independent oil and natural gas companies – the Independent Petroleum Association of America.
June 12, 1879 – Allegheny Oilfield discovered by O.P. Taylor
Orville P. (O.P.) Taylor completed his Triangle No. 1 oil well at a depth of 1,177 feet in Allegheny County, New York, revealing an oilfield that extended into Pennsylvania. His discovery well, near what soon became the oil boom town of Petrolia, followed two failed attempts near where oil seeps had been first recorded in 1627 by a French missionary, according to historians at the Pioneer Oil Museum of New York, established in 1964 at Bolivar. Taylor’s wife reportedly “sold her rings and jewelry” to finance the drilling.
Originally from Virginia and a Confederate Army veteran, Taylor worked in the cigar manufacturing business before getting caught up in the “oil craze” inspired by Pennsylvania oil discoveries along the Allegheny River at Tidioute (see Derricks of Triumph Hill). Taylor became known as the “Father of the Allegheny Oilfield” and was elected mayor of the village of Wellsville. During World War II, a Liberty Ship in his name was launched in 1943.
June 13, 1917 – Phillips Petroleum Company founded in Oklahoma
Phillips Petroleum Company was founded in Bartlesville, Oklahoma, during the early months of America’s entry into World War I – when the price of oil climbed above $1 per barrel.
Brothers Frank and L. E. (Lee Eldas) Phillips consolidated their companies and began operating with leases throughout Oklahoma and Kansas and assets of $3 million. Assets grew to $103 million by 1924. By 1927 Phillips Petroleum began selling gasoline in Wichita, Kansas, the first of more than 10,000 service stations across the country.
In coming years the company wade advances in petrochemicals. Phillips chemists were granted thousands of U.S. patents, including one in 1954 for Marlex, a high-density polyethylene. Wham-O toy company was the first to buy the new plastic (see Petroleum Product Hoopla). Phillips’ high-octane aviation fuel also played a key role in World War II as Phillips 66 gasoline became a popular advertising brand (see Flight of the Woolaroc).
Phillips Petroleum merged with Conoco in 2002 to become ConocoPhillips. In 2007, as part of statehood centennial celebrations, a Phillips Petroleum Company Museum opened in Bartlesville. Learn more in Conoco & Phillips Petroleum Museums.
June 13, 1928 – Hobbs Oilfield discovered in New Mexico
The New Mexico petroleum industry was launched with the discovery of the Hobbs oilfield near the southeastern corner of the state. After months of difficult cable-tool drilling, the Midwest State No. 1 well produced oil for the Midwest Refining Company, which had drilled the state’s first oil well in 1922.
The Hobbs well revealed a giant field, later cited by the New Mexico Bureau of Mines & Mineral Resources as “the most important single discovery of oil in New Mexico’s history.”
Drilling took time. Disaster struck at 1,500 feet when an engine house fire consumed the wooden derrick. “Men with less vision would have given up, but not the drillers of Midwest,” noted a state geologist.
As the Great Depression approached, oil production from the Hobbs field drew investors and drilling companies, quickly transforming Hobbs from “sand, mesquite, bear grass and jack rabbits” to the fastest growing town in the nation. Learn more in First New Mexico Oil Wells.
June 14, 1865 – First Edition of Pennsylvania Oil Region Newspaper
Pennsylvania’s oil region got its first daily newspaper when William and Henry Bloss published the their four-page broadsheet, the Titusville Morning Herald. Initial circulation was 300 for the community newspaper, which is still published – the Titusville Herald.
A brief story in the first edition included a report about a failed-oilman-tuned-assassin: John Wilkes Booth purchased one-thirteenth interest in the territory in August 1864. We are credibly informed that this Homestead well in which Booth was interested was destroyed by fire on the day he assassinated President Lincoln. Learn more in Dramatic Oil Company).
The American Oil & Gas Historical Society preserves U.S. petroleum history. Become an AOGHS supporting member and help maintain this energy education website and expand historical research. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. © 2020 Bruce A. Wells.